Main Street UMC is rich in history dating as far back as the 1800s when Methodist church representatives came to Kernersville, NC to begin forming a presence here.
Since didn’t possess a church building, they attended services for several years at the Muddy Creek Meetinghouse, built by the Quakers and located about a mile from the outskirts of the hamlet. Today all that is left of that place is its cemetery.
Although worshipping with those of another denomination had certain advantages and satisfactions, the founders of the local Methodist group longed for the day when they could have a church of their own. In the year 1837, thanks to the generosity of John Frederick Kerner, a grant of land provided the site for the initial Kernersville Methodist Episcopal Church, as well as for each subsequent sanctuary. The original structure was built during 1837-1838 by John Ross, whose remains rest in the church cemetery.
Throughout the years Main Street UMC has adapted to meet the needs of our community. To read more about the history that makes Main Street UMC what it is today, please download this PDF document.